I am in serious turmoil. I lost my dream job of 12 years because the school district I worked for decided to outsource the technology work to a consulting firm. I have a wife and two boys in high school and am the main source of income for the family as my wife only works part time and does not receive any benefits from her employer. My previous job was providing all of our medical coverage - medical, vision, and dental. I was looking for a job for several months and kept worrying I would be unemployed for a lengthy amount of time. I had several people tell me horror stories of how they had been without work for over a year.
I interviewed for about 8 different jobs and finally received an offer from another school district. The job was very similar to what I had been doing and I was so excited to land it. It was further away and the pay was lower than what I was expecting but money doesn't matter so much to me, as long as it is reasonable and pays the bills. I took the offer and started the process of getting the paperwork ready for my first day of work. The day before I started, when I went to fill out the forms for medical benefits, I discovered that this school district does not include the rest of my family in its benefits, just me as the employee. What to do?
Well, I went ahead and took the job anyway, because I didn't want to run the risk of being unemployed much longer. My severance pay would run out in about two months and I feared running into financial trouble. So I went ahead. My wife was against the idea from the start when she learned that she and our children would not be covered. But she is a firm believer of keeping your word and said I had already told them yes and did not want me to back out now. So we moved forward.
I LOVE my new job and the environment. My colleagues are VERY friendly and the atmosphere is very relaxed and laid back. I couldn't be happier with my job. I just wish it provided medical coverage for my family. That is the ONLY thing I would change.
So...a few weeks ago, one of the places I had applied to several months ago called me back and wanted to interview me. I said I had a job but was still looking for something with medical benefits. You see my plan was to stay at my new job for maybe a year until a job with better benefits came along. I wasn't expecting to find something so soon. This new company, a technology consulting firm, said they did provide medical coverage for my family, so I went ahead and accepted the interview. I made it through the second round and I feel an offer is imminent. Now they want me to come in and meet with the rest of their team. I feel they will extend to me an offer right afterwards. From all indications the pay will be higher too, the job is 30 minutes closer to home, and the real kicker is the better benefits.
A no brainer you say? Well, here's the thing - my wife is adamantly opposed to me quitting my current job since I had just started. I have been there for two months now. They took the time to train me and I am just starting to be on my own now. The person whose place I was filling moved into her new position and moved out of the office to her new office. They are counting on me and expecting me to hold this role for a while. That's what they hired me to do. And like I said I LOVE this job, the place is great. I couldn't be happier, except for the medical coverage.
The other issue is this. If I accept this new job (assuming they offer it) the work environment will be VERY different. That is a bit scary because I am so used to a school environment atmosphere. As a consultant I would need to do traveling and visiting corporate businesses, and there would be a lot more pressure. That was one of the interview questions - how do I handle pressure. That worries me a lot because I am not used to it. I worry that I won't be happy with my new job, especially knowing how happy I am now with what I do have.
My wife doesn't want me to quit so soon. She does want the benefits coverage, that's for sure. I am excited about the chance to work closer to home, get better pay, and receive the benefits. BUT... money does NOT buy happiness and I do need to keep my word. What would Jesus do? As a Christian we are instructed to let our yes be yes and our no be no. Should I trust that God will protect my family from medical harm long enough to wait a full year before I look for something else? Or is God answering my prayers of finding a better job with benefits and offering it to me right now?
I am totally 50-50 on this. Some times I am all for it and some times I am all against it. I can't decide and honestly don't know what to do. On top of all this, my wife and I are struggling in our relationship, so anytime I go against her wishes I dig myself a deeper hole to crawl out of. I need help! Please pray for me and offer any guidance you can suggest. Thank you for taking the time to read all the way to the end.
Thank you for sharing your troubles here! I just read about your problem and it seems like you're a bit stuck. Somethings to consider the reliability of the new job. Does this firm have a standing with the BBB? Is it willing to promise to keep you for a considerable amount of time or as long as you want to keep working? Pick a job you will be content with. As you said you worry on which choice to make ask God.
1 John 5:14-15
14 Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.
15 And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.
Remember, God will choose the right path for you. We will be praying!